Instant Pot Brown Rice Pilaf with Chicken Sausage–a quick, easy and healthy meal of seasoned brown rice with carrots, peas and chicken sausage.
Get the SLOW COOKER brown rice pilaf with chicken sausage recipe
Instant Pot Brown Rice Pilaf with Chicken Sausage
I’ve always been a fan of rice pilaf but don’t really use white rice in my cooking much. I decided to see how rice pilaf would taste with brown rice instead of white. I thought it turned out really nicely! The ground turmeric gave the rice a nice yellow color and you really couldn’t even tell that it was brown rice.
I love making rice in my Instant Pot. Especially brown rice. Before I had my Instant Pot I never could cook the perfect brown rice on the stove. It was always crunchy or unevenly cooked. Now I get it perfect every time. If you’d like to see how to cook plain brown rice in the Instant Pot I show you how here. Plus it’s a totally hands off method which I’m completely a fan of!
I stirred in frozen vegetables at the end and they gave the rice some color and interest. If you’re not a fan of peas and carrots you can leave them out. Or you could stir in broccoli, asparagus or some other vegetables that you prefer.
I used chicken sausage links that I bought at Smith’s (Kroger). They were the Simple Truth brand and it was spinach gruyere chicken sausage. YUM! I’ve heard from many people that the chicken sausage at Costco is amazing as well. What do you use and love?
More recipes you’ll love…
What Pressure Cooker Did You Use?
To make Instant Pot Brown Rice Pilaf with Chicken Sausage I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. I love this Instant Pot because it has the yogurt making function which I use almost weekly. It has two pressure settings (high and low), and there are also little slots in the handles so that you can rest the lid there instead of putting it down on your counter-top.
A quick, easy and healthy meal of seasoned brown rice with carrots, peas and chicken sausage.
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup brown rice (see note)
- 1 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric (optional)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 (12 oz) package chicken sausage links (see note)
- 2 cups frozen peas and carrots (optional)
- Turn your Instant Pot to the saute mode. Chop up your onion. When the display on the pot says HOT add in the butter and swirl it around until it is melted. Add in the onion and saute for about 3 minutes. Add in the brown rice and stir to coat the rice with the butter. Stir for about 1 minute.
- Add in the broth, salt, turmeric and garlic powder. Stir. Lay the sausage links on top of the rice. Turn off the saute setting.
- Cover the pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook time to 22 minutes on high pressure. Once the time is up let the pot sit there for 5-10 minutes (display will read L0:05) and then move the valve to venting.
- Open up the pot and carefully remove the sausage and place on a cutting board. Stir in the frozen peas and carrots. Put the lid back on and let the heat in the pot cook the vegetables for 5 minutes . Slice the sausage into quarter inch pieces and then stir them back into the rice.
- Scoop onto plates and serve. I served mine with roasted broccoli.
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*.
I used long grain brown rice. You can probably use other types of rice for this recipe but I have not tried them myself. If you want to use other types of rice then use the rice chart to determine how long to cook and the ratio of rice to broth.
I bought the spinach gruyere chicken sausage at Smith’s (Kroger) and I thought it was so tasty. There are lots of other brands and flavors that you can find at other stores too.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of the recipe
- Calories: 407
- Sugar: 1 g
- Sodium: 954 mg
- Fat: 17 g
- Carbohydrates: 46 g
- Protein: 22 g
Keywords: rice, instant pot recipe
Send Me Free Recipes
Like this recipe for Instant Pot Brown Rice Pilaf with Chicken Sausage? Get all my new recipes delivered to your email inbox by signing up below.
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.