Slow Cooker Chicken Asparagus Potato Dinner–moist bites of chicken, cubed potatoes and crisp bites of asparagus are tossed with a seasoning blend of smoked paprika, garlic powder and more to create a well seasoned one pot dinner.
Slow Cooker Chicken Asparagus Potato Dinner
I truly love dinners like these. All the food (protein, carb, vegetable) is in one pot with a minimal mess to clean up. I love the bright pop of color from the asparagus. Plus I love the crispness of the asparagus paired with the soft potatoes. The chicken is well seasoned and I love the addition of the smoked paprika for a bit of smoky flavor.
For some reason asparagus was on sale at my grocery store. Usually it’s not readily available this time of year so I snatched it up. If you can’t get asparagus you can also make this with broccoli or green beans.
I used fresh boneless skinless chicken thighs for this recipe but if you’re not a fan of dark meat you can also use chicken breasts. I really love how tender chicken thighs get though!!! That is what I would recommend.
More recipes you’ll love…
What Slow Cooker Did You Use?
To make Slow Cooker Chicken Asparagus Potato Dinner I used my 6 quart oval Kitchenaid slow cooker.* I love this slow cooker. It cooks low and evenly. I love the medium heat choice because most slow cookers that I’ve seen only have the option of cooking on low or high. If you’re going to buy just one slow cooker, this is the one that I recommend.
Moist bites of chicken, cubed potatoes and crisp bites of asparagus are tossed with a seasoning blend of smoked paprika, garlic powder and more to create a well seasoned one pot dinner.
- 1 1/2 pounds (6 small) Russet potatoes
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 3/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 bunch of asparagus, washed and cut into 1 inch pieces
- Wash potatoes and if you desire, peel them (I kept the peels on mine). Cut them into 1 inch cubes. Add them into the slow cooker.
- Use kitchen shears* to trim the excess fat off the chicken thighs. Cut the chicken into 1 inch chunks. Add the cut chicken into the slow cooker.
- Add salt, pepper, smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano and chili powder into the slow cooker. Use a spoon to toss the seasonings to coat the chicken and potatoes.
- Cover and cook on low for 4 hours, or until potatoes are tender. Remove the lid. Stir in the pieces of asparagus and put the lid back on. Let the pot sit for about 5 minutes to warm the asparagus through and slightly cook it.
- Remove the lid. Salt and pepper to taste. Scoop the chicken, potatoes and asparagus onto plates and enjoy.
You can use chicken breasts in the place of chicken thighs. They won’t taste as tender and moist but they’ll work if you’re not a fan of dark meat.
You can use broccoli in the place of asparagus. I would slightly steam the broccoli before adding it into the slow cooker.
Send Me Free Recipes
Like this recipe for Slow Cooker Chicken Asparagus Potato Dinner? Get all my new recipes delivered to your email inbox by signing up below.
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.